Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sunday Afternoon with a Few of My Favorite Things

This past summer, my son built cabinets for my sewing/office/laundry room. I had been using  folding tables and plastic containers for quite a while. Later I will do a post of the before and after of this miracle makeover, but for now, I'll just show you what I did today.
I unpacked a box of toy sewing machines that I have had for a long time. At one time I had at least 20 of them, but with each of the last 3 moves, I pared them down to just 6. These have been in storage for 6 years. It was fun getting them out and cleaning them up. They are anchoring my little vignettes.
I wanted some open shelving to display some of my favorite things. These are L shaped. You'll see the other part later. 

The top shelf has the sweetest little book about the button boxes or tins we all grew up with. My grandma had a Cigar Box, but my Mom's were in the little Apple tin can you see here. She never threw away a piece of clothing without  pulling off the buttons.
 Besides a little toy machine, this shelf has an old jar of threads and vintage needle cases among other goodies. The small vintage metal trunk holds all of my embroider floss.
My bible on the right, my hand sewing basket, a picture of my oldest granddaughter and the little pin cushion that was given to my by my Aunt Lola the last time I visited her before she passed away.
 Now the other half of the L shelves. Just some pretty fabric, books and more button jars.
I have a lot more button jars and baskets. Someday I'll do a post on my buttons...oh my!
 My little black Singer and an old machine that isn't a toy, but it is a hand crank and is dated 1883. My friend MariEllen gave me that one. As you can see, these are up on top of the cabinets.
 This is the first little toy machine I bought. I got it at an antique store and paid way too much for it. Then I discovered I could find them in flea markets for a lot less. But it is a treasure because it was my first. The button tree was given to my by my cousin and has a lot more buttons than it looks like here.
 So after my knees couldn't take anymore ladder climbing I settled down to working on a project I started 6 years ago for my then 6 year old grandson, Cade. It's going to be finished this year for Christmas. His room is still red white and blue and I think the stars are still age appropriate for a 12 yr. old. I'm backing it in Red Minkee. He loves Minkee pillowcases and gets a new one every year or so, so I know he will love a quilt to match.
Its a twin size. I only have 4 more rows to go. It's very labor intensive, but fun. I've never been good at "scrappy" quilts, but have enjoyed this one, probably because it in my favorite colors.

Mr.SS is still working on the front of our house. Maybe I'll have more progress to show you next time. We put wood blinds up on the inside this weekend...now that was an accomplishment too, but not one of my favorite things to do. Haha!




                                          

3 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I have one very heavy Singer that my husband and I bought at an antique shop. It's definitely just for show as I don't sew at all. Your collection is lovely. After so many years, it's nice to be able to get those things out again. And to finish up a forgotten project. Your grandson will love it.

Suzanne said...

As someone who enjoys being surrounded by "favorite things" I totally understand how getting your treasures out after all these years made you feel. Your room is fabulous and I am so happy for you and Dennis that you have the perfect cottage to show off your amazing skills.

Creations By Cindy said...

Love your favorite things Beverly. Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs and blessings, Cindy