Friday, April 30, 2010

On the Road Again - Part III

Sunday morning after resting our weary bodies, we load up the van and head to Ventura Swap. I have not been here since I closed down my antique booth and took everything out here to sell. It was the hottest day of the year (seriously, even though it was November).  I don't do well in the heat anymore, so I kinda had a "meltdown" before that day was over. 
However, I am the driver, so here I am.  And it turned out to be a beautiful day. You know what, I found one of my most favorite treasures ever. It only cost $4.00 and you will get to see it when I show all my finds in the next post.
Besides being the driver, I am here because I really want to find some cheap embroirdered linens that I can cut up for projects I have in mind. Sometimes there is a booth where they have tons of linens just spread out on tarps on the ground.....great prices.  On my hands and knees, crawling and searching (what we won't do for that special treasure) I usually leave with a bag full of goodies.
But not on this day.  That vender was no where to be found.
After walking the whole thing, I did find a few things I loved among which has to be a bag of Kettlecorn.
The smell of fresh kettlecorn is enough to get me to the last row (or first depending on which way you are walking)

On to Agoura Hills to an Antique Mall. I haven't been here before, but my traveling buddies have.
I'm sure Gail (click on her name)will have more to share here, but I will just show some pictures from this place.
We were met by the owner who was the sweetest lady we had ran into the day before at McDonalds waiting to use the restroom before going to the "Remnants of the Past"
Loved, loved, loved this store.  It is light and bright and lots of white.  Just being me....I don't care for all the dark colors that are so popular now.  I can appreciate them in other's venues, but for me....give me white anyday.
Anyway, here are a few of the pictures I took here.  Again, mostly soft goods and pillows.


When I found this next area, I had to run and find Gail. She loves anything "shoe" and is fond of black and gold too. This just shouted GAIL.

Sally found me and we went off to see something she found she liked. It was this pillow with a monogram and just made from white muslin. It had a big floppy torn ruffle.  Elegant simplicity.

The next one was in an area of folded linen towels and a basket or two of grain sacks. Not the French Grain sack, but good ole American ones. This is one made into a pillow. Gail and I both bought another one that had held 50 lbs. of popcorn and you will see what I did with one of those in my next post.

If you have been following my blog, you have seen some pictures around my home showing my love of faux food, so naturally these would catch my eye. I didn't purchase either because frankly, I think Mr. SS would kill me.  These are two of his favorite things.


Can you believe how real and yummy that looks?

All of the above pictures came from The Agoura Antique Mart and if you click on it you will be taken to their website and from there to their blog.  There is a lot more to see.....

Well, from here we go to Simi Valley to a couple of our favorite retail stores
Decor Store
Homegoods

Then off  to Valencia to Homegoods, dinner and home.

I wish I had grabbed my camera for a picture before we un loaded the van, but guess I was too tired by then. Did get these though  as the others were unloading and loading to take there treasures home.

Gailwho spent the weekend searching for boat related things for Vacation Bible School week at her church.  You'll see all about that on her blog. Just click on her name.


David, Gail's husband snapped this one as we were loading up Ruth's car.

A tired, but happy group of friends, from left to right:
Sandi, Ruth, Linda, Gail, Beverly and Sally.
Missing is Cindi.....We missed you Cindi!!


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Looks like you all had a blast! Good times and wonderful memories!
Hugs, Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you had good weather in Ventura this time. I remember that HOT November day last year and I felt so sorry for you girls sitting there all day in the hot sun. I'm making note of the Augora Anique Mart since that one is new to me and not that far from Ventura. Can't wait to see what you did with your popcorn sack!