Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Talk to Self.....

Every once in a while, I just get so far behind in the everyday responsibilities of life that I get a little overwhelmed and can't seem to get anything done.  I'm sure all of you have had this happen to you too.  I kind of had to step back and analyze what was going on.  It didn't help that I was gone 3 weekends out of 5.  Of course those trips were completely necessary.  First was the trip to the coast with my friends to the Barn Sale and beyond.  Then a weekend with a friend to Clovis  to take a two day painting technique class. ( I haven't even had time to share that trip with you, but will soon). Then of course my recent Quilt Shop Hop.
But, as I'm trying to figure out where my time goes, I have to admit, I have been spending a lot of time doing something that had been on the back burner for several years because of family business responsibilities.  I have been starting and ending my day in my studio creating.  I love to sew. It's that simple.  I love to sew.
But.....and this is a big but....those are not the only culprits and I know you all know where I am going here.  Just about a year ago, I discovered blogs.  One of the first blogs was my friend Suzanne's .  I was hooked from day one. Not only did reading it reconnect me with an old friend, but also with inspiration for my love of sewing and then ultimately with a new passion.....blogging. First it just lead to reading blogs.  All kinds of blogs, but mainly decorating and sewing.  Then in October of last year, I felt the need to start my own blog.
I have loved this new adventure and it has lead me to so much new knowledge about all kinds of fun things and a shared interest with lots of the nicest people.  I have developed new friendships with so many of you from all over the United States.  So don't get me wrong, I won't give up my new found "addiction". I just turned off the computer for a few days and guess what...I got so much done. 
Like everything else I need to learn moderation here too.  Notice I said "need" to learn not "learned".
No pictures today, just a little talk to my self and tomorrow night I will post the instructions for making those Dollar Tree Placemat Totes I promised.  I also will be catching up on all your blogs and will be back in my studio making a dress for a friend's granddaughter and finishing a purse for my granddaughter to give to her teacher and so on and so on until I get so far behind again.......

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

BALANCE. For me it's lifes hardest lesson. Although I'm better at balancing my time now, I still struggle with it. It's so hard for me to be a good business person, homemaker, wife, mother, friend, blogger and take time for myself. I struggle with this every single day. You, my friend, have always given everything to others so now that you're finally doing some fun things for yourself I think you perhaps are feeling a tad guilty. What you need to understand is that you deserve it. If you want to spend three hours on the computer it's okay. Do what you love and enjoy the moment. You deserve it.

Now, will you get busy - we're out of purses.

= ) Suzanne

Jane said...

Blogging does take up a lot of time. I have tried to not spend so much time on the computer and get more things done around the house, but I end up getting on line and "just checking" blogs and the next thing you know hours have passed!
Enjoy your time in the studio.
Jane

Michelle said...

Blogging does take a lot of time! This month has been so busy for us that I have had to cut back. But I do miss it!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh how I relate. I love to blog and I love to visit all my friends in blogland. However, I really need to keep up with my life too. I just can't seem to keep it all together sometimes. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Beachy post. You asked about the fabric. I purchased that at a fabric outlet about a year ago. It really is a gorgeous fabric and I just love it. Rest, blog a little and catch up with your world. lol Hugs, Marty

Annelies said...

Selfish me....I was worrying that this was one of those "goodby" to blogging posts!!! Now that I have found you, I don't want to loose you. Now I have to admit I SOOOO relate to your addiction. My advice is to buy a timer and keep it by your computer. Give yourself a reward of 15 minutes of computer time, and maybe another 15 minutes after you complete something you SHOULD be doing (G)!!! It works to keep me in check, although I DO admit, I don't always turn on my timer!!!

Dogmom Diva said...

Beverly, I think you struck a nerve with us..we all feel the same way I guess..I spend a lot of time on the laptop..mainly it is my way of venturing into the outside world due to my not feeling well a lot of the time..I love my blog, and I love the friends I meet through that blog. Since I have been working on sewin my aprons and etc..I spend less time online, but trying to find balance,it's tough..I love your blog and would surely miss it so just keep hanging out with us, ok??

hugs
Barb