Thursday, March 3, 2011

Uncle Sam and Neiman Marcus Bars

Strange combination, you say?
Much of yesterday and all day today, I have been trying to get my paperwork together and numbers added up to take to my accountant tomorrow afternoon to have our taxes "done".  In other words to find out how much we owe Uncle Sam.  Why do I procrastinate doing this?  I am not that way about other things in my life. It's not because I think we will owe this year, I would put it off to the last minute even if we were getting money back. I've known about this date since late in December...but here I am still not done.

Last week my friend "Sew Sweet" Suzanne from Strawberry Patches sent Mr. SS home with a box of cookie bars and brownies that were from the sweets shop(Sweet Surrender) next to Strawberry Patches. One of the bars, I recognized as a Neiman Marcus  Bar.( How did I know what it was...I tasted it of course)  I knew I had a recipe for these, but couldn't find it anywhere.  A few years ago, I would have had to just give up, but being a woman of the times now, I googled it.
After looking over hundreds of entries, this one looked the most similar to mine, so thought I would share it as they are soooo Yummy.

NEIMAN MARCUS BARS
printed from cooks.com

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 stick butter
1 large bag chocolate chips
1c. chopped nuts
8 oz. cream cheese
1tsp vanilla
1 box powered sugar

First layer: Mix together cake mix, 1 egg and butter. Press into a 13x9 inch pan.  Next layer: Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over mixture, pressing into layer.  Top layer:  Mix together cream cheese, 2 eggs, vanilla and sugar. pour over top of mixture.  Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hr. and 15 min.
Voila!!
Oops! Looks like the "Cookie Bar Monster" (little ole me) got there before the camera did.
They are soooo good!  I'm taking them to share with  family tonight after dinner, but just had to treat my self after working so hard trying to get those dang taxes done.
Yep!! They were a hit with the family and I'm glad I got mine first.
Little 2 yr. old granddaughter Brooke, kept waving her hand in front of her mouth and saying "Oh, Oh, so good"
Just tickled me to death.

I'm linking with Foodie Friday.

Click Here and go over to Designs by Gollum to get lots of recipes for yummy stuff.
Some are great for Saint Patricks Day which is coming up sooner than we think.

I'm also happily linking to Allison's Sweet Tooth Friday. Click here and check out her Monster Cookes and many other Sew Sweet recipes.



Back to Uncle Sam...hope all of you have your taxes done and aren't the procrastinator that I am.



God is Good!!
Life is Good!!

6 comments:

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Beverly, no our taxes are not done yet, yes I am a procrastinator when it comes to Uncle Sam and the State of CA..ugh

Oh those bars look yummy, thank you friend for sharing that recipe..they are non fat, right?? lol

love and hugs,
Barb

Suzanne said...

You are so lucky to live so close to a large family full of hungry kids...you can bake a huge pan of goodies, eat just one and send the rest away to be devoured in mere minutes. When I bake I have the temptation sitting here for days! Ugg.

Tell Dennis and Scott it's Foodie Friday!! = ) I'll see them later today?

Anonymous said...

No...I'm still in the procrastinating and gathering stage...I hate taxes even when we get something back! The bars look yummy and that little summer top is sew cute! I have distracted from my sewing lately and need to get back in the swing. That simple project just might get me there! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

I don't know what it is about somethings that we procrastinate over. I guess somethig just feel like pulling teeth. LOL!

O.K. I am drooling right now looking at those bars. I am going to keep the recipe and definitely give these a try. Thanks for sharing.
Have a beautiful weekend.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

These sound amazing!!

I also dread tax day, I'd probably eat this entire batch of bars from the stress!

I'd love for you to share this recipe on my linky for Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/03/monster-cookies/

Michelle said...

These do look good and I have not made them before! Thanks for the recipe!