Monday, March 1, 2010

Steel Magnolias

Sunday morning, I took this picture.  These little babys hung on after a couple of days of wind and rain. It is my Chinese Magnolia tree. Also called Tulip or Saucer tree, but it is a type of Magnolia.  It flowers first, then the bloom fall off and it gets the most gorgous 6" glossy leaves.  When we bought our house in 2003 there was a beautiful 35yr old tree like this that had low big thick limbs perfect for climbing. My sweetie still says I wanted the house (it had absolutely no other redeeming qualities....really) so our grandkids could climb in that tree. He's probably right and they did for a couple of years, then we proceeded to kill it. Probably cut some roots as we lanscaped and gave the yard a redo.  Anyway he bought me another and no climbing on these scrawny little limbs....yet.

Warning....lots of pictures here, but this tree is my sign that Spring is near.  I started taking pictures about 3 weeks ago. I have to apologize for the way the flower beds look....with weather, hubby working out of town and my obsession with sewing lately, I have much to catch up on before Easter when we have our annual Easter Egg Hunt. (That will be another post and you won't believe the transformation in 4 short weeks)
Here goes.....




In the next one I captured the first two blossoms to open almost right before my eyes. This tree is right out side my kitchen window...I swear one minute they weren't there, the next there they were.
As you can tell, the light wasn't good for many of these, but we haven't had a lot of sun in "Sunny California"





Okay....that's the picture show for now.  And to think, back when I did my first post, I could not figure out how to add more than one picture.  I guess we never get to old to learn.

Oh....and don't forget to click on the GiGi's Thimble button on my sidebar for another giveaway this week before Tuesday night.  It's really a good one. 

  

8 comments:

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Oh Thank You for sharing Spring with all of us this morning!!! I see about a foot of snow still when I look out of my kitchen window. This is the time of year that really gets to me. The pictures of your beautiful Magnolias tree are a definite bright spot here in Michigan!
ENJOY!!!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I love tulip trees...and I'm SOOO ready for spring! Thanks for making me feel that it's really coming soon...hey, today is March 1st! :-)

Michelle said...

Lovely pictures and I am so ready for spring. But, it is not showing itself around here just yet. Soon I hope!

Stacey said...

Beautiful! I had one of those at my old house. Like you, I would watch it for those early blooms. It's a tough tree too!

Sewn With Grace said...

Oh Beverly, my tree won't bloom for another couple of months, thank you for the reminder that spring is on it's way, even when we are knee deep in snow!

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Beverly, what a beautiful tree..I love the colors..spring IS right around the corner!

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi..I love visitors to my blog and the sweet comments everyone leaves me..Makes my day
hugs
Barb

Jane said...

Love the flowers on that tree!! What a beautiful reminder that spring is on it's way!
Jane

Nancy Yoakum said...

Beautiful pictures! We planted three new tress in our yard last year. Two dogwoods and a whitebud. Can't wait to see what they do this spring!

Warmly,
Nancy