Thursday, August 18, 2011

What's On My Kindle and What's On My Nightstand

                   
Because I really reeeeally want to see the movie, The Help, I am spending every spare minute trying to get the book read. I have this thing about reading a book before I see the movie.
This book really hits home for me, because when I was little (4yrs.-6yrs.)  we lived in Texas. My Mom worked as a secretary and my Dad worked for Haliburton and traveled a lot. We had a colored (I use that word, meaning no offense, because that is what we called black people in the 50's)lady who took care of my sister and I. Her name as Susie and we loved her. She watched us, cleaned house and started dinner for my Mom.
I remember her so well because she had a superstition that has stayed with me my whole life.
We lived in an old house and Susie would bathe us before my Mom came home. Old house...old pipes.
Sometimes the pipes would make a terrible sound when Susie ran our bath water. She told us it was the devil and we had to hide in the closet until it stopped. Yep, she would hide with us. I think the book took place in th 60's, but it fascinates me.

I am still doing my daily reading in my One Year Bible.

Now for the nightstand. I think I have told you I don't get magazines in the mail anymore, so when I see some of my favorites in a magazine stand, I grab it.
I haven't opened a one of them, but it's like "money in the bank", knowing I have these two favorites just waitig to be opened.



This last one is new to me and I am looking forward to readng it. It is a Christian magazine recommend by a couple of bloggy friends.
The cover is so pretty, I know I won't be disappointed.
Now, if I could just find the time.

This week, I finished two back to school dresses and one skirt. I will wait until Monday morning to take a picture of the girls in their new outfits. They look so much better on the girls than hanging on a hanger.
They love them and so does their Mom.


God is Good!!
Life is Good!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read THE HELP a few weeks ago and it is a good book. I'm unsure if I'll go to the movies to see it. I also have a bible something like yours which I've read through several times by reading daily. It's a great way to read it entirely in a year.

Jane said...

Hi Beverly,
I enjoyed your story about Susie. I bet you have wonderful memories. My sister read the book and loved it. I think I need to get that for my Kindle too.
I can't wait to see the back to school outfits. You always do such a wonderful job making your granddaughters new clothes.
Have a great weekend.
Jane

Lemon Lane Studio said...

You are so much more patient than i. I wanted to read The Help before I went to see it but never found the time. I am going to see it tonight. What a cute story, isn't funny what sticks with us from our childhood. Can't wait to see what you've made. Patty... I need to pick that fall Quilts and more!

Annelies said...

oh....I have to go out and find that issue of Life Beautiful. The way book stores are closing left and right, it gets harder and harder to find. Hugs to you my sweet friend and I can't wait to see the back to school duds!!!

D. Jean Quarles said...

You are so busy! Wow! Love your post.

Nancy B said...

I even got my hubby to read The Help earlier in the summer. We plan to see the movie next week. I hope you are not still hiding in the closet...LOL Can't wait to see those dresses!

Linda said...

I need to read the Help too...I heard about the book a while ago, but I haven't taken much time to read lately...I really need too...I heard the movie is really good.All those magazines look great...I'll have to check them out!

deb said...

I loved the Help...so will you!!! where did you find the Christian magazine....??

GardenOfDaisies said...

The book was great!! And I saw the movie 2 weeks ago. I think they did a pretty good job of bringing the book to the big screen. But I think they did turn it into more of a comedy than the book was. Were you able to keep in touch with Susie?