Sunday, December 11, 2011

A New Tradition

Finally the day came.  I went to see Maggie play "Clara" in the Nutcracker Ballet.
I enjoyed it so much. Not only because I had been honored with being asked to make Maggie's dress, but because I love music and dancing and especially because there were so many talented young people performing.
Before I  had even become involved with Maggie's costume, my DIL had made plans to take her Mom and her girls as a surprise for her Mom's birthday and plans to make it a yearly tradition.
They were so excited to be invited backstage to meet "Clara"
In hindsight, I wish I had invited my other two granddaughters to go with me. (What was I thinking?)
So next year I will, and I hope it will become a tradition with all of us.
(The youngest, Emmy stayed home with Daddy, but soon she will be old enough to go to.)

From my last post until yesterday, I was madly sewing these dresses. They are their Christmas dresses, but what a perfect event to get to wear them to first.
I was on a rampage...I made one a day (will finish the last one tomorrow). I did nothing else all week. No laundry, no cooking (Mr SS was out of town), no cleaning, no bed making, no (well, only a little) time on the computer.  I ate at my sewing table...way too many snacks because it was easier than fixing a meal.  But the end result was worth it...they somehow got done. Even made there hair bows last night.

Here's Rosie wearing Emmy's dress.
Here's the bow. I was hoping you could see the glitter on the satin.

One more little Nutcracker story, I wanted to share.
When I was in 6th grade, 2 students were picked from each of two classes to go to see the Nutcracker being performed in my home town of Long Beach, Ca.
I really don't remember what we had to do to be chosen. I played violin in our school orchestra, but don't think that had anything to do with it. Anyway, I wasn't chosen, but we all got to go to the auditorium and listen to the music. Afterward, I remember my teacher saying she wished she had chosen me.
I wanted to go so badly. I have no idea why she told me that.
But, I finally got to go.  Did I tell you how much I really enjoyed it?

I know I have been MIA around here and have not been visiting my favorite blogs for a while, but hope to do some catching up in the next few days.  Still have lots to do, as we all do to get ready for Christmas, but I'll sneak in a little computer time everyday.

Tomorrow the focus is finish a dress, go get the blue (Blue velvet) taken off my fingernails, yes they look strange...
and get the enormous amount of gray covered in my hair.



God is Good!!
Life is Good!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting all week to see these Beverly. The blue is so gorgeous on your girls! I knew you'd get them done. What a great incentive to get them all done for the show. You are so blessed!

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

Wooo! You did it! I was wondering how you were doing with your marathon. The dress is adorable. That really is one of my favorite little girl styles. So classic. I love the colors. I love the Nutcracker so much that I have the Sugar Plum Fairy as my ringtone! Just for the Christmas season though.
Hugs, Sue
P.S. Great picture of all of you.

Nancy B said...

Oh, Beverly, their dresses are beautiful! As are the girls!! I hope you weren't too tired from your marathon to enjoy the show. You simply amaze me.

My Vintage Studio said...

Wishing you a MERRY CHRISTMAS with your family & friends!
Hugs, Sharon